Dry hair can be caused by factors, including:
- nutritional deficiencies
- excessive sun exposure
- contact with chlorinated water
- excessive hair washing
- use of styling products and tools
- use of harsh hair products
Some possible medical causes of dry hair may be anorexia nervosa, Menkes disease, hypoparathyroidism, hypothyroidism, and other hormone abnormalities.
Home remedies for dry hair
People can use home remedies to treat hair if it becomes dry and brittle. Listed below are 12 different home remedies that can be tried:
1. Using hot oils
Olive oil is one of the most popular home remedies for dry hair.
Besides olive oil, the following can also be used with good results:
- coconut oil
- almond oil
- castor oil
- jojoba oil
- corn oil
All of these oils are rich in vitamin E and antioxidants and help to seal the outer hair layer or cuticle with moisture, thus repairing the damage.
To prepare this home remedy:
This treatment will strengthen and add shine to dry hair.
2. Using good hair care products specific to your hair type
A person may want to try using gentle, sulfate-free shampoos and hair conditioners.
Also, they can shampoo less frequently, for example, only once or twice a week.
3. Using beer as a hair conditioner
Beer contains a protein that helps to repair the hair cuticles, making the hair smooth and shiny.
If someone shampoos their hair as usual and then sprays on some drops of beer, allowing it to dry naturally, it will work as a good conditioner without leaving any smell on the hair.
4. Applying a coconut oil mask
Coconut oil has a soothing and moisturizing effect when applied to the hair.
People can make a hair mask by boiling curry leaves in coconut oil for 2–3 minutes and letting it rest in a cool place for a few days or simply overnight.
When the mixture has cooled, it can be gently rubbed into the hair and scalp with the fingertips and covered with a warm towel to trap in moisture and avoid the mixture dripping.
It should then be left on for a few minutes before being rinsed.
Taking the right supplements can also help to restore luster to hair by making sure the body has enough nutrition.
Helpful supplements include some of the following:
Omega-3: This is a fatty acid that is good for keeping hair moisturized. People can get omega-3 by taking one to three 250-milligrams (mg) capsules of borage oil, flaxseed oil, or evening primrose oil, one to three times a day.
Vitamins: Taking vitamin A and C, biotin (sometimes called vitamin H), and iron supplements can help make hair look healthier and shinier.
12. Take preventive measures
Making some lifestyle changes and taking preventive measures can help alleviate dry hair. Tips include:
- Avoid overuse of hair styling products, including hair dye and heated styling tools, such as a blow dryer, curling iron, and flat iron.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure.
- Avoid excessive contact with chlorinated water in swimming pools.
- Wear loose hairstyles instead of tight ponytails.
- Do not sleep with accessories in the hair.
- Apply a weekly moisturizing hair mask.
- Use soft and padded hair accessories and avoid metal clips and other metal accessories.
- Avoid washing hair too often, only washing it every few days instead.
- Use mild shampoos, such as herbal or sulfate-free shampoos.
- Use cold or tepid water instead, of hot water when washing hair. Cold water helps to seal the cuticles and reduces moisture loss.
- Use moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, such as those with softening oils that can include sweet almond, Argan, sunflower, and soybean.
- Protect the hair from harsh elements and chemicals at the beach or swimming pool by rinsing hair with 1/4 cup of apple cider mixed with 3/4 cup of water before going to the beach or after a swim.
- Trim the hair frequently to prevent split ends showing.
- Wear hats and scarves to protect the hair from the sun.
- Drink plenty of water and follow a healthful, balanced diet, as what a person consumes will directly impact their hair’s health
Dry hair can be tackled with some dietary and lifestyle adjustments, and with several home remedies that offer inexpensive and effective ways to bring back smoothness, moisture, and shine.
Source: Read Full Article